nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Treated wood stakes...

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Treated wood stakes...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:57:57 -0400

On Mar 20, 2010, at 4:54 PM, anne bianca wrote:

I am just wondering whether the treated poles used for staking trees is a bad idea to use for fruit trees?  I have bought them from Lowes and Home Depot.  I am not sure exactly what they are treated with or why, but I have used them up until now with flowering trees and am now thinking twice before I plant my little orchard.
Does anyone have information or opinions on the use of these "treated" poles?
Thanks in advance for any information...

Probably this isn't an issue for you, but treated stakes are prohibited for certified organic use.

The newer treatments are supposed to be less toxic, but apparently not less toxic enough. Also, I have no idea whether any stuff with the older treatments may still be working their way through the supply chain. -- Why they are treated is so they will last longer without rotting; the treated stakes are generally made of soft wood species that won't last very long in the ground if not treated.

At the least, I'd call up the place you bought them from and ask what, precisely, they are treated with; though unless you bought them very recently, they may not be able to tell you -- or, I suppose, even worse, they might tell you something that isn't accurate for the batch you actually got.

Personally, I'd go with untreated oak, better yet untreated locust if you can find it (good untreated locust wood will outlast treated pine in the ground), or metal stakes. (And you may want to handle any treated stuff with gloves, and cut it, if you do, with a face mask on; certainly if you still have older treated stakes around. And for the sake of your lungs and your neighbors', never burn treated wood.).