nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Treated wood stakes...

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Treated wood stakes...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

Treated lumber is treated with very toxic chemicals. The older type was
treated with stuff that isn't allowed now, so the new kind is supposedly
safer, but they'll probably declare the new kind unsafe at some point too,
We decided to use black locust wood instead for our fence and stakes and
stuff, as it's naturally rot-resistant. There's a lumberyard here in central
NY that has very reasonable prices on it, but it took a lot of calling around
to various lumberyards to find it.

I googled pressure treated lumber chemicals and found this article:
http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/pressure-treated-wood-in-beds.aspx
I'm sure there's a lot more info out there too.

Melissa