nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Haskaps flavor and ripeness

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Haskaps flavor and ripeness
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:04:02 -0800 (PST)

Currently available US forms of honeyberry/haskap are quite good if left on long enough to fully ripen.  My initial experience with them was to compare to blueberries which are tasty enough shortly after turning mostly blue.  However with haskap/honeyberry forms currently available in the US, I noticed some years ago that the berries do not come to good flavor shortly after turning blue.  Rather, they need at least several more weeks to ripen properly after turning blue.  Unpleasant taste is found if the berries are harvested too soon after turning blue.  A gentle squeeze of the berry can help determine ripeness.  If firm like a blueberry, then the haskap is not ripe.