nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tenn vole alert

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tenn vole alert
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:02:37 -0600

I've lost 2 young pears, nearly an inch thick at the base. Both were entirely eaten off underground. They were only about 15 ft apart, and there were lots of branches heaped up near them and a downed pine between them. We are still suffering the rodent population explosion from the 2008 huge bumper crop of fruit and wild nuts. I assume that in this hard winter the rodent population is falling and we'll find out this summer and next winter about the increased coyote/hawk/owl, etc population from the 2008 bounty. Donna