nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:01:43 -0600

How tall are the trees, what size the fruit, & do they have any sweetness.
How would you compare them to Nanking bush cherries?

I can't answer most of this, but I've had a Carmine Jewel for two years now, and it's a really tiny tree. From what I read, it was only supposed to get 6 ft. tall on its own roots, and I believe it, since it's still barely more than 3 ft. tall now. (Everything else in my yard seems to spring up like magic beans.) Yet it's healthy, and it looks like a little tree, not a bush.

Well, I wanted something this small, because I still had a tiny little spot in my yard where there wasn't a fruit tree, bush, vine, or cane growing. Heh, heh. There really wasn't enough room for anything else. (Ironically, one of my trees died soon afterwards, so I could have planted a regular - dwarf - tree there, after all.)

Seriously, I can't say much about it, since I've only had it for two years. No fruit or even blossoms yet. But the tree itself doesn't seem to have any insect or disease problems. I suppose I'll have to spray it when it starts fruiting - and I'll have to net it, of course - but so far, it's been quite wonderfully work-free. I haven't even needed to prune it, since it seems to branch just perfectly on its own. But it is VERY small.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I decided (after listening to a 'talk radio' commentator who abused, vilified, and scorned every noble cause to which I had devoted my entire life that) I was both a Humanist and a liberal, each of the most dangerous and vilified type. - James Michener