nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions on best pawpaw varieties?

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions on best pawpaw varieties?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:27:28 -0500 (EST)

Jay,
You want to start with two varieties, even 'self fertile' varieties set more
fruit with two cultivars.
Sunflower and Davis would be good to start with - plant them very close to
each other, keep them well-mulched.
Pawpaws are not native to New Mexico, so you cannot just go out in the wild
and select the best varieties as I have done here. I have spent time in NM,
but I don't recollect ever seeing a pawpaw tree, even in urban arboretums.
In trials here in North Carolina we find fruit quality quite dependent on
soil type, moisture, summer weather, and altitude. Having said that,
Sunflower and Davis are two varieties that seem to do well in most places.
Jim