nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions on best pawpaw varieties?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions on best pawpaw varieties?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 02:59:07 -0500

I have no experience with cultivars, but about a year ago Ernie Grimo who is pretty knowledgeable, told me that the best tasting pawpaws he knew of were Shenandoah and one of Doug Campbell's; I think he said NC-10 but I am not absolutely sure of that.

My limited experience of pawpaws says that they do not like dry soil, and I have the impression that they very much like shelter from wind.
From reading I think they prefer soil a little acid (ours is).

Our (naturalized park) best-looking seedling is in high organic fairly moist soil just north of a Manitoba maple.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jay Cutts wrote:
I see a number of selected varieties of pawpaw offered. Anyone have experience with which taste best? Sunflower is supposed to be self-fertile.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews