nafex - [NAFEX] growing Kumquat seeds

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] growing Kumquat seeds
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:56:28 -0800 (PST)

I need some advice on how to keep Kumquat seedlings alive once they are
nicely growing. I collected some seeds from a container of Kumquat fruits
purchased at Wal-Mart and planted them in some pots of dirt. Five trees grew
up very nicely, some even put on two or three leaves. And then they started
dying... their leaves turned brown, fell off and then the stalk started to
turn brown and they slowly died back to the soil. The only thing I can come
up with is that maybe I planted them in some old, used potting soil that had
been watered by my well water which has 300 milligrams of Sodium per
litre/quart. I am currently watering them with water out of my dehumidifier
which would be salt free.

Anyone know how sensitive citrus trees are to salt?

Anyone have any other ideas on how I'm killing them?

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

http://www.flickr.com/gift/