nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 4th edition fruit and nut inventory

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 4th edition fruit and nut inventory
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:41:53 -0500

I have found these Fruit, Berry, & Nut Inventory books extremely useful over
the
years. I ordered this new edition right away, by phone. Not all nurseries
have
websites, so for example, in my search for the Amling pecan I was able to
find
right away in the book a nursery in Oklahoma which sells bud sticks, which
I'd not
been able to find on the internet.

Not all nurseries have catalogs either, and those don't make it into the Seed
Savers
book. Using the Amling pecan again as an example, there's a small nursery in
southern Alabama which sells it (though doesn't ship), which is not listed in
F, B, &
N book.

A weakness of the book is that the cultivar descriptions are gleaned from the
catalogs, which are often way over-optimistic, and which are also often
omissive of
disadvantages of each cultivar. I've learned not to buy from nurseries which
tell
only the strong points of each cultivar.
~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia