nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Kumquat seed preservation?

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Kumquat seed preservation?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 03:49:44 -0800 (PST)

My oldest kumquat is a Meiwa grafted on sour orange or Swingle possibly--planted in late 1983. The Christmas freeze killed it to the ground. But I had buried the graft union 2" or so BELOW ground(which is not recommended by citrus folks). It sprouted back in Spring from below ground and was still Meiwa. Then in the January 1985 freeze of 6 degrees(in North Florida) it was killed to the ground again. Again in Spring it sprouted back from below ground level and it has never been frozen to the ground again.
Had I not went against the advice of experts, my tree would have died in the Christmas 1983 freeze.
Since then I have discovered that Meiwa comes back true enough from seed to plant seedlings of it.
                                                     Richard Harrison, NW FL