nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Was: Cross cultural dislikes; Now, Plum wine

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Was: Cross cultural dislikes; Now, Plum wine
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:48:05 -0700

Be sure the sharpness in your plum wine IS alcohol.
In 1979 I made wine of a Japanese-American plum I have. It had so much pectin it took several years to clear and the pectins made a layer over an inch thick in each bottle. It also had so much acid it would set your teeth on edge, though the plum aroma and flavor came through well. This year I found some in the back of the wine cellar and the acid was STILL as sharp as ever. Made wonderful cooking wine, though. Great for tenderizing meat.

-Lon Rombough<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner overof the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/

<x-tad-bigger>Speaking of honey.. I bottled my plum mead yesterday.  Seemed okay but too sharp on the alcohol.  A year maturing will fix that.  I used Beauty Plums.  If I use those again I will put in a few cinnamon sticks.. the flavor needs some wake up.  The Mirabelle mead I made last year had more character.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Naomi</x-tad-bigger>