nafex - [NAFEX] Cross cultural dislikes; Maple? Blech!

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cross cultural dislikes; Maple? Blech!
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:17:19 -0500

Steve,

It’s not just Europeans.

I find maple syrup – the real thing, as well as maple-flavored syrup – or any thing maple-flavored, including bacon(what a blasphemy!  It’s supposed to be HICKORY smoked!) – to be disgusting and quite off-putting from a taste perspective.

Growing up in UCLA (upper corner of lower Alabama) in the ‘50s/’60s, ‘syrup’ - at least in my family, was either cane syrup(AlaGa or Cane Patch), corn syrup(dark Karo), or my (still)favorite, Golden Eagle syrup(Yellow Label is a close second, if you can’t find Golden Eagle), which is a mixture of corn syrup, cane syrup, and honey.  THICK and sweet – makes the very best pecan/hickory pies in the world, and doesn’t make your pancakes/waffles  a soggy, sodden mess, like that nasty maple/maple-flavored ‘pancake’ syrup.

Log Cabin or Aunt Jemimah?  Doesn’t matter to me – if those are my choices, I’ll do without.

Was discussing this thread with a co-worker yesterday, and she brought up the ‘peanut butter’ angle  and the apparent disgust Brits have for it – but, I’d have to think that if my ‘jelly’ choice was orange marmalade, I might not care for a PB&J sandwich either.

Lucky Pittman

Son of the South

In my experience, the North American food that has gotten the strongest reaction from European visitors is maple syrup---they (with a few exceptions) consider it disgusting--gaggingly vile.  One might like to think that Aunt Jemimah were to blame, but I only use the real stuff and the reaction  has been the same.

Steve Herje

SW WI USA
USDA  zone 3