nafex - Re: [NAFEX] autumn olive

  • From: "M Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] autumn olive
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:57:05 -0400

Jay,
Thanks for the input. I used to live in the southwest. Loved that caliche,
too :)
I'm just curious--what else suffers from the dieback that you mentioned?
Does anyone else in the southwest grow Cornus mas, and if so, at what
elevation?

Colorado State's horticulture dept was recommending use of Cornus mas as an
underutilized and adaptable small tree and I've seen it on approved lists of
street trees in Idaho. So there may be other factors as well.

Some of the soils around here have a pH of around 7 and the Cornus mas does
fine with very little care once established. Of course we don't have the
uv/light intensity issues you have there-- and we get rainfall of about 38"
annually. My comments about the Cornus mas as a substitution were more
geared to those of us who live where the autumn olive is so invasive. I
understand that Colorado has restricted the use of Russian Olive for similar
reasons.

Regards,
Michele