nafex - Re: [NAFEX] autumn olive

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] autumn olive
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 15:56:25 -0600

Hi, Michele.

I've always wanted to grow Cornus mas. Here in NM at 7000 ft it seems to be one of an unrelated group of trees that all have the symptom of having their leaves die back from the outside, after which the plant is dead. I'm not sure exactly what the culprit is. It may be susceptibility to the high UV radiation. Or perhaps it's alkalinity.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

M Stanton wrote:

After seeing the chatter about Autumn Olive, I couldn’t be quiet any longer. Here in Ohio ( and in much of the east), the plants are really invasive. Originally planted for its wildlife value and nitrogen-fixing capabilities, among other virtues, its use is now highly discouraged in some states.

Both USDA and Ohio State researchers have looked at the fruits’ antioxidant and lycopene content. The fruit makes a nice ice-cream syrup and is pretty tasty, especially with a little sugar. But to encourage its use in many eastern ecosystems is just asking for trouble. New Mexico is dry enough that escapees may not be a risk, but around here there are other better choices. How about Cornus mas, for example? Cornelian cherries can be nice, too.

Michele in SW Ohio

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):