nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple maggot resistance?

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple maggot resistance?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 07:09:41 -0700

There are apple varieties that are more desirable to the apple maggot and some that are less desirable  I know this one person who had several apple trees at his place and a variety called Chehalis was always riddled with the apple maggot while the other varieties around it had very few if any.  He decided to take out the Chehalis because he wasn't getting any value from it.  Guess what happened to the other trees the next year?  Since the Chehalis was gone the apple maggot went for the other varieties and he didn't gain anything.

You might try bagging all the other apples except for the Haralson and see what happens.

Bob
Western Washington