nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spraying pears

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spraying pears
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:16:30 -0400

Speaking of pears, I have lost 95% of my Clapp's Favourite. I had profuse blossoms and perhaps 150 'fledgelings' developing just after petal fall. At that time they were sprayed with a Wilson's Fruit Tree spray (Phosalone 4%, Ferbam 15% - to whick I added Malathion).

I now have a handful remaining! The majority shriveled into a black, hard, nut-like ball. Some of the mal-formed have obvious insect damage.

This occurred two year's ago on about two dozen of the fruit - however - the fruit had a bit more development to about quarter size. There was insect damage, and when I split the fruit, I had some small black larva. I suspected coddling moth - but wasn't sure.

Last year, following my usual procedure, I had a good crop with almost no damage.

This thread on pear spraying twigged my delema and I posted four pics on photobucket. Advice would be helpful.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/JBarbowski/ClappsPears/

jmb
Canadian zone 6b (just north of Toronto)