nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Political commentary

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Political commentary
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:11:53 -0500

It seems to me political remarks and environmental remarks get the most
"hits" on this list. It seems to really rile peoples emotions. This list
seems to have wide and fairly loose leeway as far as topics go.

I don't think fluffy was out of line with his political comment. Bill
Garthwight, whom I consider a friend, (although I don't share most of his
religious or political views) frequently makes such views known. Bill has
a right to add his tag lines, as fluffy has a right to add a small political
line to his posts. If we don't agree, I think we all are mature enough to
agree to disagree.

With regard to global warming. Personally, I've not made up my mind yet.
Scientific conclusions are always changing, that's what makes science so
interesting.

Some things that need to be answered in my mind:

-Will a moderate amount of global warming be negative for most of mankind?

-Will any measures the U.S. plans to take, or is able to take, have any
measurable effect on global warming (My impression is that it won't)?

- Is this the most pressing problem of our future? (My thought is the
extinction of fossil fuels will do more to alter the lifestyle and behavior
of mankind, than global warming)

Who knows, swine flu, terrorists with nukes (imagine one U.S. city after
another, nuked by suicide bombers) or global war, may be the next dire
problem for the survival of mankind (if survival of mankind is the goal) and
global warming will pale by comparison. Global warming is hot, and
emotional right now, but that could change very quickly.

Mark
KS