nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spraying pears

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spraying pears
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:10:50 -0500

Bill, Some pears get leaf spot, some don't. I wouldn't worry about it. They
sometimes get some codling moth, but not enough to worry about. Apart from
fire blight they don't have too many serious problems. I did find a borer in
one once. Donna

OK, thanks, Donna. I'll just see what happens this year.

As I say, I haven't been able to find a fungicide rated for pears. I don't know if they'd actually cause damage to pears, or if there just wasn't enough demand to test it. (I believe that Captan can cause fruit drop, but Immunox seems to be a good choice for most things,... though, again, the label doesn't mention pears.)

I did have worms in the Asian pears last year, but since I only had four pears total, I didn't worry about it much. I don't know what pest it was, though we do have codling moths here. Unfortunately, my strawberries pretty well surround the pear trees, so I couldn't spray while they were blooming. Well, in general, I don't spray nearly enough, apparently. (But I don't need perfect fruit, either, when I'm eating it myself.)

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters