nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spraying pears

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spraying pears
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:30:04 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Bill,

I've never used a fungicide on pears. Like Donna, the most serious pest I've
observed is fireblight. Codling moth has been a problem on Asian pears and
on some cultivars of Asian hybrids, so I might bag them in the future. For
whatever reason, I haven't seen significant codling moth damage on European
pears. Like Brooks Drain did in the '50's, I'm trying to deal with leafspot
by selecting resistant cultivars.

Anton
Zone 8 (though the USDA map suggests 7/8 border)
Pie cherries ripening well.