nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cat - kidney infections (I'm tired of the old title)

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cat - kidney infections (I'm tired of the old title)
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:01:08 -0300

For what it's worth, from the medical point of view the connection is not obvious.  Urinary tract infections in women generally are an "auto-infection".  That is, the causitive organism originates in the gut, and the bug in the bladder is identical in type to the one in the gut of the individual woman. (We all have our own distinct "clones" of E. coli etc.)  You don't "catch" the infection from others, (including cats); you infect yourself.  (Just why some (many!) women get infected periodically is a whole 'nother question, but it is not a question of exposure to the infecting organism, but rather of resistance to the passage of the organism up into the bladder.)