nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cat - the other white meat

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cat - the other white meat
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:18:41 -0500

At 10:58 AM 5/26/2009, you wrote:
What critters is this repellent supposed to repel? If it's meant to repel rodents, smelling like a cat's litter box would probably work, since what rodent would want to hang out in a cat's litter box? If it smelled like that already, then it makes perfect sense that your cat would use it as one.

There was some research done, years ago, that indicated that rats infected with Toxoplasma gondii had an unnatural attraction to the smell of cat urine - was this the parasite's way of altering brain function, thereby ensuring that the intermediate host it was infecting would have the opportunity to be caught and eaten by the appropriate definitive host?  Seems like it.
An offshoot of that research also showed that women who entered into multiple abusive relationships also had high antibody titers to Toxoplasma.(No mention of whether they were attracted to cat urine).

Lucky

Melissa