nafex - [NAFEX] Squirrel Control

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Squirrel Control
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:14:06 -0500

I'm not sure exactly what 'tangletrap' is, but if it is the sticky waxy stuff used to catch creepy crawlies on tree trunks, then yes, I have experience with it.

For many years I have successfully kept the squirrels out of my peach trees by putting a nice gooey band of sticky 'tanglefoot' wax around the trunks.  I originally did this by putting it directly on the bark.  It was such a mess I established plan B.  Now, I simply wrap the bark on the trunk with freezer paper or some other handy cheap stuff.  I tie it on with twine.  Then I smear on the goo.  I put a band about 8 inches wide all the way around the tree about 30 inches up off the ground - just about where they'd land if they jumped.  It may not be exactly nice, but it is a great pleasure - and funny - to watch the first squirrels hit the wax and get it on their little feet.  The dance they do is hilarious.  Better than when a cat steps in the water pan, which is funny, too.  Seems that one hit is all the squirrels need.  They don't come back for the rest of the season.

I have learned that I shouldn't put the goo on until just before the peaches are ready.  Too much time and the Squirrel Counter Intelligence Group meets to develop alternative peach attack stratagies.  After the peach tree has been picked, I remove the goo sheet and we're back to square one.  This doesn't seem to actually injure the squirrels.  I know them by name almost, and I see them around in my yard and woods even after they've been 'gooed.'

Tim Inman