nafex - [NAFEX] Squirrel followup

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Squirrel followup
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 12:02:57 -0400

Bill, we don't have starlings, and if we did I'm not sure they could pick them up as they are large, heavy, and gooey.  Also I have heard that these balls should not be harmful to children or pets.  That is why I am using them and not just straight poison.  The only bird activity I have seen on the balls is occasional pecking.

One other thing I wonder about is it may be important to keep them out of the rain as the rain may harden them enough to decrease their appetizing element.  In the failures I had in the past they were rained on.

Scott

> I also made a fresh batch of the PB/PoP balls, ...  They are placed on a platform I mounted about 8' up a tree so I am fairly certain that only squirrels are getting them.

I suppose I'm paranoid, but around here, starlings and other birds are
always carrying food all over the place, dropping it as they squabble.
What's to keep them from dropping this stuff where a dog - or a young
child - can get a hold of it?

That would really worry me.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)