nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry winter kill

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry winter kill
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:40:12 -0700 (PDT)

I'm having problems with my email so apologies if a partial message just got
sent...

"Winterkill" is a problem with black raspberries wherever they are grown.
There are three main theories about what causes it:

1. Cold winter temperatures and lack of cold hardiness
2. Variable winter temperatures
3. Diseases

Here in Oregon, for many years people chalked it up to 1 and 2 which didn't
make a whole lot of sense because it doesn't get particularly cold here and
growers seem to not have much problem until the 2nd year a field is in and
then it seems to get worse every year after that. Commercial black raspberry
fields here only last about 3 seasons (4 if you're lucky) before the plants
become so unproductive that growers rip them out and replace them. Currently
our working theory is that if cold temperatures are not the problem (which
they may be in some parts of the country) then it is probably disease.
Anthracnose, Verticillium, and different viruses can all cause this. The new
canes coming out in the spring seem to be healthy and vigorous and then they
invariable die the next winter. Fortunately we've seen some promising new
germplasm in our breeding program that we hope will extend the life of
plantings here, but that is a few years out.

I wouldn't be surprised if your plants might be diseased but it is entirely
possible that water could be an issue, though it would make more sense if it
was correlated to water conditions last summer and fall stressing the plants
going into the winter. I'd be curious to hear if you have the same problem
next year. If you do, it might be time to replace your plants and get new
ones.

For a little more information on the problem here in Oregon and what we're
currently working on check out the following articles:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/jun06/berry0606.htm
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/jan08/raspberry0108.htm

In some of our wild populations, reistance to the winterkill problem seems to
sometimes be independant of whether or not plants are aphid resistant so
there are other pieces to this complex puzzle still left to be uncovered.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com