nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry winter kill

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry winter kill
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 23:00:03 -0500

Michael's description of the behavior of black raspberries has me very puzzled. I'm almost afraid to mention that I have a planting from a friend whose plants had come from Miller's. Mine have been untended but harvested annually for about 12 years. Our temps are probably colder than Oregon's, getting down to at least 8 degrees, sometimes to zero and a degree or two below a few times. We have variable winter temps nearly every winter. We have diseases galore. Yet the plants keep spreading. I try to cut out some of the honeysuckle and sometimes throw some phosphate or trace minerals on them. I think I threw a little bit of commercial fertilizer at them this spring. I don't do anything to prevent them from tiprooting where they like, as they are where the garden meets the woods. Is it possible your soil is too alkaline, or even too rich? Ours is poor acid clay, though the soil where they are is somewhat improved. Donna