nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apricot Breeder Crafts a Sweeter, Earlier Fruit (Capital Press, Salem, Ore.)

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apricot Breeder Crafts a Sweeter, Earlier Fruit (Capital Press, Salem, Ore.)
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:02:49 -0700

Thanks for forwarding that. They mention 'Apache' was bred by the same fella. I just tasted my first 'Apache' last week and it tasted like every other unripe grocery store apricot. I was distinctly unimpressed.

Apricot is one of my top 5 favorite fruits but it seems that how I like my apricots is out of step with the majority. I'm not into sickly sweetness. I prize the tart mixed with sweet. The special tangy flavor that apricots have (concentrated most in the skin) is what I love. It's been many years since I've had a fruit that really lives up to what I know an apricot can taste like. There was an apricot growing on an easement in my old neighborhood that epitomized that. Years later I thought I'd try to get scionwood but a family that had moved in next door to the easement trespassed onto SoCal Edison property and cut it down. What a horrible tree murder that was!

I like the aprium and the Royal apricot in my yard but we don't get the hot weather here that would help them develop peak flavor.

Does anyone have suggestions of varieties that are simply sweet but have that really great tart/sweet combo I'm after?

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite