nafex - [NAFEX] first time grafting with parafilm

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] first time grafting with parafilm
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:31:43 -0400

I decided to try parafilm this season and used it on some apple grafts I was doing this week.  The strips are perforated every 3" or so, which I find annoying because it takes 2 strips to cover my average graft.  I wonder if non-perforated is available.

I doubt this stuff is preferable over Gashell, my Swiss pruning compound available from OESCO (Orchard Supply Co. in Conway Mass) for grafting pears and apples, because they don't tend to dry out but I thought I'd try it to see if it increases % of takes.  Grafting with the compound is a bit quicker.  I have to admit to being a bit concerned about buds pushing through parafilm although that concern is irrational given all the testimony I've read.  I wonder if the buds could push through the Gashell?