nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 75, Issue 58

  • From: Heath Flax <8orge.onx@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 75, Issue 58
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:03:02 -0400

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:54:05 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pathogens inoculation during Pruning/making of
>        Cuttings,       and/or or  during Grafting

>Melissa Kacalanos wrote:
study this pathogen's normal mode of transmission, and try to copy
that, since that's the mode of transmission your plants really need
resistance to.

"Wow" as to this part of your answer--because despite duality of my
"take" on same--especially the "try to copy that" which after seven
or eight years (going on twenty plus) of involvement, somehow I'm
just-now realizing I might be able to DIRECTLY try massively applying
spores of infection, instead of cells of this disease by my pseudo
grafting method. And amazingly enough, considering the contrary way
that luck so often seem to want to be, the time of infecting spore
dispersal from diseased plant, commences in a couple or so weeks!

And also, I think I may be able to do this both at the initial stage
of trying to inoculate, and, at least equally importantly, at the
other end of things: testing of immune-plant-candidates...which I was
otherwise expecting I might have to do by going to such lengths as
planting clones, such as rooted cuttings, of candidate blueberry
plants, in a location I have which has very intense disease pressure
for this fungus disease of blueberries.

At the same time, at the beginning stage (that of inoculating plants
initially to try to begin screening plants for resistance) , I "can"
say that reportedly (will look for the URL link, which I or my browser
has lost) that attempts (multiple, with widely varying degrees of
success) I see as parallel and maybe in effect equivalent, seems to be
(or have been) in use (legit research, by some university I offhand
think) for this purpose: spraying plants in the field, with a slurry
of ground up diseased plant material. From my recollection, I "think"
that this slurry inoculation method had to do with reasons very
similar to mine, would-be inoculation for test purposes.

And, if my very limited understanding is right--I read just an excerpt
of a "paper"--and it was to do with research with t.c. plantlets of
sugar cane, not fruit plants) the dizzying world of, and maybe rate of
advancement of, things to do with plant research, seems to find
another whole setting of potential relevance to our pomology interest
or pursuits, such as specimen and cultivar searching, testing and
development: the laboratory level.
Even if I may at best only partially understand some terms oor
concepts listed in the Abstract :the likes of "Polymerase chain
reaction (PCR)"; "biological assay(PCR assay), and others: still in
its very idea and context, this abstract I read nearly totally
mesmerized, even "somewhat shocked: the Laboratory level for plant
disease experimenting (inoculating, disease presence or absence
detection, etc).
... the (or at least "a") "Holy Grail for plant disease experimenters?
...findable by googling all or large part of the N.
Singe, B.M. Somai and D. Pillay (authors) 2004 paper's title:
"Smut disease assessment by PCR and microscopy in inoculated tissue
cultured sugarcane cultivars"