nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spelling Kieffer

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spelling Kieffer
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:41:20 -0600

I recall reading somewhere that the pear was named for a George Kieffer, but
after some searching, I found a newspaper article from 1923 describing the
origin of the Kieffer pear. It was George's father, Peter Kieffer, who grew
the pear from seed. The article is on the second page of the pdf document
linked below. There are a few typos in the article. For instance, it states
that Peter was born in 1912 and died in 1890. I assume he was actually born
in 1812. The title of the article is "The Kiefer Pear", but throughout the
rest of the story it is spelled "Kieffer". Based on this history, I would
assume the correct name of the pear to be 'Kieffer'. This would also be a
good article to reprint in Pomona.

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/MMM/LF/02/b/LF02b037.pdf

Hal