nafex - [NAFEX] Wal-mart Keiffer

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wal-mart Keiffer
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:44:23 -0500

At 11:51 AM 4/4/2009, mIEKAL wrote:
Full disclosure: This particular tree named "Kiefer" was bought from
Walmart on a closeout sale for almost free & I haven't a clue what
rootstock it's on.

Ahh. Could well be that it's not even Keiffer.
I'm always suspect of the labeled variety on plants at the big box stores, especially after Donna related the story of her acquaintance who worked at one of the big propagators in McMinnville, who indicated that the big boxes often buy their overruns, seconds, etc., and apply their own 'variety' labels - I guess they're figuring on the bulk of the population either not knowing the difference, the tree not living long enough to fruit, or the original purchaser moving to a new place and leaving the tree behind.

LLP