nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear tree size and crop

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear tree size and crop
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:55:29 -0500

I lost the Luscious that I planted to fireblight in their first year of growth.

I have one Kiefer that I maintain in the way that Claude describes & I agree its pretty easy to manage the size. I'm guessing it puts out more than 10 bushels (tho it does tend to crop in a 2 cycle—more one year, less the following year). Kiefer is a dessert pear, hard skin, a bit bitter, sweet & fragrant on this inside with a bit of the dessert pear grit... I do eat a lot of them out of hand but tend to peel them first. I also put up 10 gallons of perry from the same tree this year.

~mIEKAL