nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:25:20 -0400

I had nanking cherries and got about a handful of "cherries" off of 6 bushes
a year for 5-6 years. They were incredibly inconsistent fruiters for me,
though I can't blame disease or other problems for their shy bearing. I
did do a fall oil spray and a early spring bordeaux spray, as I was mainly
just emptying the sprayer out at that point. I do recall reading the
fuzziness of nanking cherry leaves is supposed to discourage some disease
problem or something, and my own experience (without disease on them) seems
to bear it out

I eventually removed all of them in favor of more traditional cherries
(Northstar)and other fruiting trees.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Scott Hills
Zone 6b Michigan