nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ailing apricots (and nanking cherries)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:44:18 -0400

I have grown Nanking cherries for decades in 3 different states (NY, MD, and DE) and have watched them grow unfettered in WI. My advice is to ignore any disease problems. Or, if you must, cut off diseased branches. Or, if a plant dies (very rare), just replant another one -- they grow and bear quickly. The beauty of this bush, besides its physical beauty, is that you can grow it and harvest plenty of fruit without doing anything! You do need two different clones for cross-pollination, though.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book