nafex - Re: [NAFEX] heat tape

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] heat tape
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:20:47 -0400

On Mar 29, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Deb S wrote:

Has anyone ever tried hanging heat tape in branches of trees to prevent freezing? This is the tape used to wrap pipes. I was thinking that it might raise the temps in a small tree enough to spare some fruit (pluot is in full bloom and we are expecting a freeze tonight).

Is that something powered to create heat, or just insulating tape? All my pipes are wrapped in insulating material. I've never heard of powered/heat generating stuff for pipes.

I know some people on this list have reported success using strings of X-mas tree lights to generate a little heat near the buds at night, so I would assume that other gentle heat-generating options might work, too.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6