nafex - [NAFEX] carbon hide and seek

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] carbon hide and seek
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:04:48 -0400

Mother Earth News had an article within the last couple months on a way to improve soil by adding char (wood or vegitable matter that had been partially burned) Evidently research has been done showing that char is one of the reasons the soils of the amazon and other old growth areas are so rich and healthy.  The char breaks down slowly, holds carbon longer than compost and serves as a particle of large porous surface area for moisture retention and for microbial action.

Food for thought.

Scott Hills

Zone 6b Michigan