nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weather On Topic

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weather On Topic
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:51:32 -0500

 People who grow fruit trees depend on predicting how warm or cold it will be and when, as well as how wet or dry it will be, and to some extent how windy it is.

Much of the planet's weather is caused by the contrast between the cold polar areas and the warm tropics. Warm areas have hotter air  that rises and creates lower air pressure and colder areas have denser higher pressures.  Prevailing winds and ocean currents move the way they do seasonally in a significant way because of these differences as well.

Greenhouse gases are altering these temperatures and movements and therefore destabilizing wind, rain, and temperature patterns and making them more chaotic and from our perspective as fruit growers less predictable. This means that many--maybe all--places are seeing climatic disruption and change. Zones have moved north as have birds. Some areas will no doubt be colder--maybe much colder--or drier--because protective warm currents change course (off the Pacific or Atlantic), or stop draining cold off the continent with their low pressure systems.  Others will be much warmer.

Here in Houston, we have five hot summer months (May to September). I looked up the years of the ten hottest Mays, Junes, Julys, Augusts, and Septembers for a total of 50. In the last 100 years, 32 of them were in the last 50 years and 18 in the previous 50 years. The last 20 years (20% of the years) have had 16 of the hottest 50 (32% of the months).

At the same time, our winter lows have been warm. There are parts of the area that have not had a temperature below 30˚ in a decade, and there are mango trees in the Central City with trunks more than a foot in diameter.  For the last four years, I have had a coffee plant (arabica) and several papayas growing without protection and there are guavas on my tree in March.  Take a look at your maps and you will see that Houston is not supposed to be in zone 10--even in the National Arbor Day revised map.

We have had three major hurricanes cause disruption here in the last five years, and a tropical storm that dropped 20 inches in 2001.  The same Hurricane Ike that broke large branches in my yard, knocked out power in Southeastern Indiana and wrecked the roof of a friend's garage with a tree branch in Columbus Ohio.  I asked them how this compared with previous hurricanes. Both said Huh?

So weather isn't off topic, nor is changing climate.  But I think it would be good to pin down how this is changing in different parts of the country and how it is affecting fruit tree growing.

Bob Randall