nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weather (Off topic)

  • From: "Mark Dorogi" <mddorogi@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weather (Off topic)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:43:18 -0400

One of the most fascinating things to me is the difference between earth and Venus, where the atmosphere is practically all CO2, 100 times thicker than ours, the surface pressure is 1400 psi, and the temperature is 900F.   Why?  All the carbon is in the atmosphere on Venus, since there is no water to complete the cycle where carbon is fixed in rocks and other underground storage methods.  There is no water because Venus is close enough to the sun that the solar energy disassociated water molecules long ago, and the lighter H2 escaped to space.  All of the carbon was eventually oxidized, and there is sits in the atmosphere.  It is believed that earlier in its history, when the sun was cooler, Venus did have water and could have been more earth-like, but we obviously don’t know.

At least, that’s the prevailing theory to explain the situation on Venus, not without some shortcomings no doubt.

Earth has around the same amount of carbon as Venus, but most is locked up in rocks and underground.   The atmosphere holds around 750 billion tons of CO2; sequestered amounts of carbon are something like 80 million billion tons.

There is no danger of having the same run-away greenhouse effect here on earth, we are simply too far from the sun for that.   So, yes, the earth is a closed system, we still have the same amount of carbon we always had, but we are moving large quantities from sequestered forms like fossil fuels into the atmosphere by burning those fuels and changing land use patterns.  We are putting more into the atmosphere than the normal carbon cycle can remove: hence, the atmospheric concentration is building.  Roughly, we put 6 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere per year, something like half or more is took up pretty quickly by the oceans and plants, etc, and the rest is building in the atmosphere.

Mark