nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weather

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weather
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:34:27 -0400

In the years gone by, temps were cooler; in the years gone by, temps were warmer; In the years gone by, temps were cooler; in the years gone by, temps were warmer;

In the years gone by, temps were cooler; in the years gone by, temps were warmer; ...

Doesn't this somehow remind one of a cycle?

We were in a warming cycle until 1998. Just look at the glaciers in the Canadian rockies; at the turn of the 1900, they were almost a mile longer than they are today. Anecdotal evidence yes, but still a piece of the puzzle.

In the 70's, I recall scientists 'predicting' a mini ice age because of a couple of cooler years. The last 8 years have indicated a cooling trend. What can a trend be? 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 50, 100? Only history will tell.

The real question I believe is: What is the cause? I suggest that the only common factor in all this is that big fiery ball in the sky. Man can have an influence on our global climate, however, I believe it to be minuscule in comparison to the sun.

The explosion of Krakatoa in 1883 influenced the worlds climate; people called it the year without summer. A catastrophic event, yes, as were the meteors that struck the earth and, as some scientist claim,  influenced on our climate and caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. But mother earth came back primarily because its consistent modifier.

The sun reigns supreme and constant - the driving force - 'weather' we like it or not. (Yeh I know it should be whether)

jmb

sorry 'bout this - it has been bothering me for years.