nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grass under pecan trees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grass under pecan trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:11:27 -0400

On Mar 23, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 08:50 AM 3/23/2009, you wrote:
When is the best time to transplant persimmon trees--breaking dormancy?

Now.

Also I can't grow grass under pecan trees? is there a juglone- resistant type:?
If they're big, mature pecans, I suspect the issue is more shading
and competition for moisture/nutrients than juglone toxicity. You'd
encounter the same issue(if not worse) trying to grow grass under a
big, mature maple or oak.

Trees vary a lot on how competitive they are how well grass grows under them. It's tough to grow grass under a mature healthy maple, but easy under a mature healthy oak. I have black, white, and scarlet oaks and they all have grass growing densely up to their bases.

Beech trees always have a bare spot under their canopy. I don't know if it's shade, water, or chemical warfare, but they don't share.

On a related note, I'm thinking of planting daffodils under my fruit trees. (Apple and apricot.) Will the daffodils compete enough to hurt the growth of the trees?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6