nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon transplanting? grass under pecan trees

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon transplanting? grass under pecan trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:05:10 -0600

Scott,

Don't know what types of grasses you're trying to grow, but I've never seen
a problem with grasses and juglone. We have lots of black walnuts around
here, which produce more juglone than pecan, and grass seems to grow fine
underneath them (bluegrass, fescue, etc). In some densely shaded walnut
patches, I've seen some spots where the grass not quite as thick, but I
think that's due to the dense shade, and all the water being sucked out of
the soil..

Mark
KS