nafex - Re: [NAFEX] frozen scion wood

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] frozen scion wood
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:36:08 -0400

Alexander Dragotin wrote:
Steve, the storing scion wood in block of ice is a bright idea but the freesing watter expand the volume and the arising pressure in the ice block should be considered.

Using freesing the stored scion wood can be dehydrated only if the humidity escape. If the stored matherial is closed in a proper plastick bag there is no way to loose the enclosed humidity........

That isn't quite true. Again, I can't use actual scion wood as an example because I have never frozen any scion wood.
However, we do buy frozen chicken breasts in a big zip-lock bag. If we don't use it all in a few months, there is some visible freezer burn (dried out areas on the surface of the chicken) and there is a handfull of ice crystals, much like snow, in the bottom of the bag. Obviously, water moved out of the chicken pieces and into the rest of the bag, even though the plastic bag is sealed shut.

Steve