nafex - Re: [NAFEX] frozen scion wood

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] frozen scion wood
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

What you have suggested is very similar to what the local experts up here
routinely do with their scionwood collected in February. They collect their
scionwood, place it in labelled gallon size ziplock bags and then bend over
and grab a few handfuls of snow, throw them in the bag with the scionwood,
seal it up, put all the bags into one twist tied bag and throw the whole
works in the fridge freezer (not a chest freezer as they are apparently too
cold, but the little freezer above your refrigerator works just fine) and
then we graft away about the third week of May!

We find that buds suffer from desiccation even out on the trees up here.
Budwood collected in February has a much better likelihood of having viable
buds on it than wood taken off the same tree in April probably because of the
wild swings in temperature we have: -40 F and then 44 F three days later like
we had this week.