nafex - Re: [NAFEX] frozen scion wood

  • From: Alexander Dragotin <a_dragotin@yahoo.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] frozen scion wood
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:16:10 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you Alan.
In the message

Re: [NAFEX] storing scion wood frozen

Mittwoch, 13. Februar, 2008

I have said:
"I am freezing everything. The budwood from some species have to be taken very early. Hazelnut is one of them. Using chip budding or whip and tongue graft I am bringing hazelnut on Turkish hazel rootstock.
Sometimes there is need to cut and store the budwood before winter could spell makes the buds unusable.
If the species in your zone isn't at winter could injury risk, you could in the early springtime cut the budwood and put it on the rootstocks.
There is no problem dealing with the pome. In the drupes case having early buds swelling you could take the lower part of the last year sprout. Under the swelling buds are some dormant ones and they can be used. Sometimes I have used two-year-old cuts (almond) and grafted them whip and tongue.
Sometime the year- or two-year-old scions near the swelling buds have sleeping reserve buds. I delete the swelled and use the rest. It works even dealing with the Hazelnut.
All this is only help in some situations of the hobby gardening.
If professional work should be done, early cut and stored frozen should be preferred."
Anyway some other have different idea how the scion wood have to be stored. It may works to.
Alex