nafex - [NAFEX] Cloudberry availability and propagation

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cloudberry availability and propagation
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:24:12 -0600

Michael Dossett wrote, "The records appear to mostly be old (though one as recent as '05) from Lake and St. Louis counties, but I'm sure that there is still cloudberry?in the same areas if not the exact same locations.?"

Cloudberry probably still grows in Aitkin County, Minnesota. Where is Aitkin County? If you were to draw an 'X' from corner to corner on a Minnesota Map, Aitkin County lies about 30 miles to the Northeast of the intersection.
I say it "probably still grows" there because, yesterday, I dusted off one of my botanical books from the 1970's. The project involved learning the wild plants so I could teach the city folk who were wishing to learn about wild foods and herbs. To that end, I made numerous forays into the bush armed with a set of color pencils and a "Peterson & McKinney" wildflower book of line drawings. Whenever I encountered a new flower, I colored it in. Upon paging through, yesterday, I was amazed to discover that Cloudberry was colored. If pressed to do so, I'd bet I could find it again.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: