nafex - [NAFEX] Cloudberry Minnesota

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cloudberry Minnesota
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:43:23 -0600

Ernest Plutko wrote, "She told me she has seen cloudberries rarely in the bogs in Lake of the Woods County. She said to look in wet bog areas where you find sundew and pitcher plants. Not where the blueberries live but where lingonberry and
cranberries are found."

The bogs mentioned above occur from about Central Minnesota, where I live, to points North. You don't want to go walking in some of those bogs unless you are a risk-taker. Can you imagine walking where everything shakes with every step? You'd be walking on matted-together vegetation that floats on slimey mud. Some bogs are more firm than others. One of my botanical projects took me into some of the shakiest. I carried an 8' long pole so I could pull myself up in case I broke through (that only happened once, fortunately). Quite often I poked my pole straight down to determine how deep a given location was and I usually did not strike bottom.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: