nafex - [NAFEX] Cloudberry

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cloudberry
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 18:35:54 GMT

Back when I was a kid we used to take family vacations to Nova Scotia and I spent a lot of time bog hopping on my aunt's land.  The locals all got very excited about the baked-apple berries (aka cloudberries) in the bogs--they need lots of water-- and while I don't remember ever being there when they were ripe (I remember cranberries, strawberries, and blueberries), when someone offered me some canned bake-apple my reaction was to almost gag.  Some people like them, but I didn't and have never been tempted to try growing them even though I seem to want to try growing almost anything else.   Perhaps it's an acquired taste.   In the Whitehead area of NS the bake-apples like most of the other wild fruits are declining since the bogs and barrens aren't burning so the whole area is going over to trees.  When I visited there regularly there was a mentally-challenged individual who would regularly light the woods.  While the people living there didn't apppreciate the wild fires threatening their houses and winter fuel supplies, they did appreciate the wild fruits that grew so abundantly in the burned areas.

Muffy Barrett
SC Wisconsin

Looking for insurance? Click to compare and save big.

  • [NAFEX] Cloudberry, bluestem_farm@juno.com, 03/06/2009