nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cloudberry

  • From: Jukka K <jpkrvi@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cloudberry
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:30:53 +0000 (GMT)

Oh, the magical cloudberry! Thinking of cloudberries brings to my mind happy
memories from my childhood in Northern Finland, where cloudberries are a very
important crop still today. Picking beautiful, ripe, fragrant cloudberries on
an open marsh on a sunny day, it's one of my absolute favorite things (minus
the mosquitos!)
There is some cloudberry breeding going on in Finlang, aiming at larger
berries and hermaphrodite cultivars. A hermaphrodite clone found in nature in
western Finland is now commercially available.
In the garden, cloudberry requires a "wet bed" similar to cranberry. I
haven't tried that because I can get ample amounts of wild clouberried from
my mom each summer.
If anyone is interested in getting wild cloudberry seeds from Finland, I can
extract some and send next summer.

The follwing links may be of interest to those looking for cloudberry
information:

http://www.uku.fi/northernberries/files/pdf/Northernberries2002-2005.pdf
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/v2-524.html

Regards,