nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:18:15 -0500

I've only had rabbit munching on my thornless blackberry, never deer
on any rubus. Currants and gooseberries in general are completely
herbivore-proof, I've only had rabbits clip tiny stems of a few
gooseberries. Nothing has ever touched any currants. Pawpaw, never
seen anything eat it.

Currants and paw paws are about the most pest proof plants around, the
only woody plant that I don't have to protect at all even when they're
small.

Can't comment on the maypop. I guess while I'm at it, I'll mention
that I've never had deer touch my serviceberries, although they eat
cherry, apricot, and apple with gusto. I guess they don't touch the
pear trees either. Rabbits also immediately stripped the bark off all
my apple prunings this winter, but not so much the pears. No deer
damage on kiwis yet, but they're new.

-matt demmon
se mi z5