nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Deer repellents???

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Deer repellents???
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:51:24 -0500

Another way to repel deer is with Deerchaser, which you can purchase on the internet. Full disclosure: I developed the product. In all honesty, I would say it's about 85% effective. It's an electronic device consisting of a motion detector which, when activated, turns on a low (4 V) light and a radio tuned to low volume.

(For some reason, the ad writers foolishly thought the product would sell better if they said it had a bright light and made a loud noise. Not so. Deer are very sensitive to noise, especially human type noises.)

The area protected is, I think, about 25 by 50 feet, but it can also stop them from traveling certain paths.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book