nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any northern growers have some pecan nuts?

  • From: Eric Farnsworth <tropicofkansas@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any northern growers have some pecan nuts?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:06:41 -0800 (PST)

I had a large mature pecan tree that every year made vast quantities of nuts.
The squirrels would begin eating them (in a normal year) when they were green
and just beginning to fill. Even so, there were enough nuts that a good
quantity would mature. I soon discovered that if I found an intact nut under
the tree it was a dud with no nut inside - the squirrels had already checked
and rejected it. So for a number of years I got no nuts at all from the tree.
Until one autumn when I was re-mulching the peonies near the pecan tree.
There stuffed into the straw mulch were a couple handfuls of pecans. So to
get nuts from my tree I had to think like a squirrel, and look where they put
them. And I learned that they weren't interested in working any harder than
they had to to hide the nuts.
Good luck.
Eric Farnsworth
NE KS